Skip to main content

Hot Days and Wool

We have had some really hot days this week (I think Thursday was 41 degrees), and of course, I have been playing with wool. I am still making samples for my felting workshop and while it seems quite unseasonal, I am really happy with a couple of my scarves and have even been modelling them around the house.

I am also still working on the beaded felted jewellery and have started on a challenge doll for the Craft and Quilt Show here in Newcastle in February. I think most other doll makers have finished theirs and I am just starting. This is however, not surprising. – I like to think I prefer to work under pressure! This challenge is an interpretation of the pattern Mrs Chalumeau. I has only progressed as far as practising the button pattern on the skirt. .My plan is to make a Pearly Queen as I chose one of the suggested colour combinations -black and white. I hope to show some progress on her soon.

Although the weather hasn’t been really conducive to creativity , what a good week it’s been!
1. My mermaid bag is in the latest Beads etc magazine - a finalist in the current competition.
2. ETSY sales and very positive feedback, including my first sale to Scotland!
3. I started an online class to learn new ways of working with my felt embellishing machine. ( I have had fun with wool, silk and mohair - it’s all over the workroom )
4. More feltfollies in the shop. I love making these, and I think most of the fun is in writing their stories. Here are a few of the descriptions which go with them
Feltfollie Fancy Free : A “feltfollie” is an embellished felted flat shape which has magically developed its own personality and character. Feltfollie Fancy Free is an imaginative and creative thinker who loves to daydream of warm summer days in Monet’s garden, chasing dragonflies amongst the irises. This unique feltfollie could be a wearable/ brooch/art doll pin, a handbag accessory, or just a whimsical little treasure to help stimulate your imagination.
Feltfollie Festival Joker is a comic character who enjoys busking at festivals fairs and fetes, making people laugh, and just being outrageous. This unique feltfollie could be a wearable/brooch/art doll pin, a handbag accessory, or just a whimsical little treasure to bring laughter and colour to your life.
Feltfollie Financial Blues is feeling the effects of the recent economic downturn, but there is hope. Recalling the good old days and clutching a five cent saved from a first wages packet, this unique feltfollie could be a wearable/brooch/art doll pin, a handbag accessory, or just a whimsical little treasure to provide hope for the future.

Some of the things I’ve learnt this week:
- New technique using alcohol inks, thanks, Sue from Scrap Needs. Cardiff. ( finished cards pictured)
- More information about holidays in the Kimberleys from the travel expo Jim and I attended on Wednesday
- How to work Jim’s new camera – a Canon digital SLR
- new ways to work with my felt embellisher machine – thanks, Dale from The Thread Studio, WA
- Not to print out everything when subscribing to a magazine online
- Exercising does translate into weight loss – hooray!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Precious to Waste

 Stitched tea bags/ old doily "tea lights" - Wilma Simmons  More than a year ago, a decision was made.  The annual exhibition of NCEATA ( Newcastle Creative Embroiderers and Textile Artists) 2015-2016 will have the theme "Mottainai". Mottainai in Japanese refers to more than just physical waste (resources). It is even used to refer to thought patterns that give rise to wasteful action. Grammatically, it can be used in Japanese as an exclamation ("mottainai!") or as an adjective phrase ("it feels mottainai"). There is no plural form. The collection of mottainai things could be called mottainai koto ( もったいない事 ? ). As an exclamation ("mottainai!") it means roughly "what a waste!" or "Don't waste." [2]  A simple English equivalent is the saying "waste not, want not." A more elaborate meaning conveys a sense of value and worthiness and may be translated as "do not destroy (or lay waste to) that

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as wrapping str

Wednesday's Child /2

Work in Progress - 3 of the 193 for "Stitched Up"- Wilma Simmons   The work for the "Stitched Up " Project  continues. See the previous "Wednesday Child" post for the background to this art project celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Newcastle Industrial School. I have been documenting the progress of my work, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of the early stages of the "stick dolls" ... Here are some of the beginning steps.. Sticks collected while walking the bushland in my neighbourhood  Drying and getting rid of any insects - oven heat 75 degreesC for approx 1-2 hours.  Trimmed and cut if necessary  Ends sealed with matte sealing solution.  Drying  - solution goes on white but dries clear.  First wrapping - foil to create a body shape  Second wrapping - stretch fabric.  Third wrapping - fabric strips  Some stitching - more stitching and embellishment to come.  Follow thi